World Travel Awards, the prestigious global initiative to acknowledge and reward excellence in tourism and travel, has finally revealed its list of 2020 global winners. Winners include the Maldives who have received the award for the World’s Leading Destination for the first time at the virtual grand finale.
This is for the first time that the Maldives received this award in the record. In this distinctive category, Maldives competed with 22 other destinations, including Sri Lanka, Spain, Dubai, Malaysia, and Mauritius.
Established in the year 1993, World Travel Awards is the most honorable award show of the international tourism and travel industry.TheMaldives receiving the acknowledgment through the prestigious award during the most challenging time in the tourism industry elevates the dignity.
Along with this title, Maldives was also in the nomination for humongous 40 categories at the virtual Grand Final of World Travel Awards and won in the following categories:
- World’s Leading Luxury Island Resort 2020: The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
- World’s Leading New Resort 2020: Emerald Maldives Resort & Spa
- World’s Leading Luxury Island Villas 2020: Baros Maldives
- World’s Leading Honeymoon Resort 2020: JA Manafaru
- World’s Leading Water Villa Resort 2020: Four Seasons Resort Maldives, Kuda Huraa
- World’s Leading Airport Resort 2020: Hulhule Island Hotel
- World’s Leading Seaplane Operator 2020: Trans Maldivian Airway
On receiving the award, Dr. Abdulla Mausoom, Minister of Tourism H. E., praised the sound policies of HEP Solih and his administration to endorse the travel and tourism industry among the international tourists.
Due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Maldives travel and tourism industry hit poorly. Asa result of which the marketing government initiative of #VisitMaldives came to a standstill position and carried on the digital platforms.